Massive Mudroom Makeover!

final2editedSo this post is a long time coming! We have a really big mudroom area right when you walk in from our garage. Our laundry room is upstairs, but I wanted STORAGE for all our junk when we come in the house! 

Instead of paying someone to build custom built-ins for us, we took on the job ourselves! I basically combined a bunch of ideas I found online and created our masterpiece that I LOVE!! One of the many reasons I love it is because it looks like it came with the house even though we did the work ourselves!

I’ll try to walk you through the process, but because we built it for our space, I’m sure each person would do it a little differently. We also ran into lots of challenges as is the case with EVERY home renovation project!!

IMG_2738

First we tore out the base board in the space where the built-ins would go. Then we built a frame using 1″ x 6″s because our baseboard is 5.5″ tall we needed the bench to be raised up. The length of the frame was 6 feet because we used two 36″ stock double door cabinets from Lowe’s. 

IMG_2741

The bench is 24″ deep. The front cabinets take up the from 12″ and the back space is another 12″. I wanted to use cabinets with doors to hide all our shoes!

IMG_2743

We quickly learned that even in a new home, things are not PLUM and SQUARE! This was so irritating and we needed to shim the base to make it level. We attached the stock cabinets to the frame and put 1″x4″s along the back which would eventually support the back part of the bench. 

IMG_2746

We then started building the upper back frame using 2″x4″s. We drilled into studs to make sure it would support all the weight!

IMG_2748

IMG_2751

IMG_2754

We used pocket holes to hold everything together to make it nice and strong. We used the Kreg Jig we already had from the last project!

IMG_2752

I then attached unfinished cabinet end paneling cut to fit!

IMG_2761

Next we added new baseboard and a 1″x4″ along the back. AND…of course CALK!

benchtrim3 benchtrim2

It was then time to attach the back pieces of wood. These were attached to hinges so they can flip open. I used a modified plan from Ana White’s Hidden Boot Storage plans. This was a little tricky because the way we built it, our flip tops do not stay open which is fine with me because I just need to open them, throw stuff in, and let them close!

IMG_2842

IMG_2841

We added 1″x4″s along the wall for the board and batten look. My husband built the upper cubby system and used pocket holes to hold it all together. We drilled through the back unto the studs in the wall. 

IMG_2843

IMG_2839

I wanted the cubbies to look thicker so we added a piece of wood on top and then used 1″x2″s all around each cubby. Lots of wood glue and calk used in this part!!

IMG_2847

After this we added a long piece of stained wood along the front portion. We used wood glue and nails. I stained the wood using Minwax Dark Wlanut. From here it was just a lot of painting and more CALK!! The paint was just our trim color we had color-matched at lows in semi-gloss.

basefinal

I got the door knobs and hooks in oil-rubbed bronze from Lowe’s and added the wooden corbels from Home Depot for a little more character! We painted the walls the same color as the rest of our house as well. I found the storage bins at Home Goods!

final

PicMonkey Collage

This was a pretty intense project. We had the base portion built within 2 days. But it took several weeks for painting and staining and just waiting for stuff to dry! We also ran into problems with the walls not being perfectly square. But in the end it was all worth it! I tried to keep track and estimate we spent around $400. This was a huge savings when custom built-ins cost around $3000! 

I’m just glad it’s all over and we can enjoy all the storage!! Happy Building!!

Love, 

Angie


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *