Angie and I made this recipe the other night, which was fun to share together! In general, I like recipes that require simple ingredients and are still delicious. This recipe does just that and is good for a crowd too. It could be a Christmas Eve dinner idea or holiday meal while you have family in town. You also could incorporate veggies to the pasta (spinach) for some more color and nutrition!
This recipe is worth the 3 or 4 dishes (not so bad) that you have to do when you are done.(side note–at this phase of life with kids, I always decide on what to cook, based on how many dishes it will make for me to clean up!)
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Use 3-4 chicken breast and cut them in half long ways. (or pound down to make thin)
Set up an assembly line of your chicken, then egg mixture, then breadcrumbs. This will make your hands messy–so I always coat the chicken in eggs with one hand, and pat the chicken in breadcrumbs with the other. Dip each piece of chicken into egg mixture and then into breadcrumbs.
(side-note–I jazz up my Italian breadcrumbs with a few shakes of garlic salt and Parmesan cheese)
Place breaded chicken on separate plate. Bread your chicken as thick or thin as you like. (I bread my chicken lightly since my husband is a little bit of a health freak–especially since I made pasta with the meal too.)
Prepare your pan with olive oil on high heat to brown or crisp your chicken.
Cover and bake for 25 minutes. Then take foil off and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Serve chicken over pasta that is lightly tossed with olive oil and garlic salt.
- 3-4 chicken breasts
- 2 cups Italian bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1 jar Marinara sauce (or sauce of choice)
- Sliced mozzarella cheese
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Olive oil
- Garlic salt (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Use 3-4 chicken breasts and cut them in half long ways. (or pound down to make thin)
- Coat chicken breasts in egg and then pat both sides with breadcrumbs.
- Prepare pan with olive oil on high heat.
- Brown/crisp breaded chicken for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Place browned chicken into 9x13 pan with sauce spread along the bottom.
- Top chicken with sliced mozzarella.
- Cover sliced cheese and the rest of the chicken with sauce. Then top with a few handfuls of shredded mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Cover and bake for 25 minutes. Then cook without foil for an additional 5 minutes.